Sunday, August 31, 2008

THE HILL.... NOT "The Hills"


Free concert on the West Lawn of the Capital anyone? Yea.... That's what I thought =)

Tonight I went to the National Symphony Orchestra's Labor Day concert on the lawn.  Free is always a bonus, and it was my first glimpse of Downtown D.C. and THE HILL, where I'll hopefully be spending a lot of my time during the weeks to come.  The music was really great, I haven't been to an orchestra performance since I was IN the orchestra.

One thing that really struck me was that to open the show they, of course, played the National Anthem.  Everyone (easily 2,000+ people) stood up, turned towards the Capital building and the flag, took their hats off, placed their hands over their heart and sang along to the anthem.  It's obvious to me that Patriotism and displaying great pride in being an American is not just a cliche here, it's really heartfelt and a way of life.  I'm not sure why that surprised me, maybe it's that New England Sarcasm and jaded sense of society everyone keeps telling me I have because I'm from CT.  They call it jaded, I call it realistic lol.  Oh well.... The NSO played a variety of songs from cartoon numbers to a huge medley of South Pacific numbers.  It definitely made me miss you MOM, I could literally picture you sitting on the blanket next to me, singing to the orchestra OUT LOUD.... I know, you just can't help yourself sometimes =)

The west lawn tonight..... Click to see the full view!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kat,
Did you say, South Pacific! I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair, ya! I expect that you might have sung along a bit. At least some humming, right? Keep the updates coming, I love them! And yes, rest up, my love. Mom :)

Anonymous said...

It was a very good concert. You must not forget the Christmas music. The sunset was totally amazing.